Soy Wax Candles vs. Paraffin Wax Candles
Many people are familiar with paraffin wax candles, as they’re a readily available and inexpensive candle type. However, plant wax candle types like soy wax are also a staple in many homes and are becoming more popular.
These two candle types have many differences and often spark debate about which is better. A candle’s materials make all the difference in fragrance, burning time and color, and can impact the environment and your health.
Find out how paraffin and soy wax candles provide a unique experience and impact your air quality differently.
What Are Paraffin Wax Candles?
Candle-makers produce paraffin wax candles from paraffin wax, one of the most popular types of wax. This wax is translucent and solid and easy to mold into various candle shapes and sizes.
For centuries, people have used paraffin wax candles to light up their homes and provide fresh scents. However, although paraffin wax is FDA-approved, there are many debates about whether to use paraffin wax candles or shift to natural base wax candles.
Here are some pros and cons of paraffin wax candles to help you make an informed decision at your next purchase.
Benefits of Paraffin Wax Candles
Paraffin wax candles are still a staple at candle-lit dinners, cozy get-togethers and relaxing baths. Here’s why:
- Paraffin wax candles hold fragrance for longer: Paraffin candles are known for having the best scent throw, which means paraffin wax can give off a more potent fragrance when lit or unlit. You can enjoy the full aroma of your scented paraffin candle in your living room, bathroom or candle-lit dinner for longer.
- Paraffin wax candles are easy to mold: Paraffin wax has various melt points, making it easier to develop into different shapes and sizes. Due to the flexibility of paraffin wax, paraffin candles are easier to make and take less time to cool and mold into different shapes.
- Paraffin wax candles hold color better: The translucent color of paraffin wax makes it easier to dye, meaning paraffin wax candles are often brighter and maintain color for longer.
- Paraffin wax candles are inexpensive: People have been making candles from paraffin for centuries, as paraffin wax is easier to come by and an affordable type of wax. The availability and versatility of paraffin wax make paraffin candles a more economic option, especially when bought in bulk.
What Are Soy Wax Candles?
Soy wax candles feature soy wax, a byproduct of the soybean plant and a natural type of wax candle. Soy wax is a soft and dense type of wax compared to paraffin wax — soy candles are opaque and flakey in their natural form.
Soy wax candles have become more popular over the past several years, particularly as more information about paraffin wax affecting the environment and human health is released. However, soy wax candles are a popular candle type for many other reasons, and it’s best to weigh the characteristics of soy and paraffin wax before purchasing either.
Benefits of Soy Wax Candles
Soy wax candles are the ideal natural wax candles for all kinds of uses, whether in homes, yoga studios or spas. Here’s why soy wax candles are lighting the way in becoming one of the most popular candle types:
- Soy wax candles are environmentally friendly: Soy wax is a byproduct of soybean plants, which is more environmentally friendly than petroleum oil.
- Soy wax candles can keep the flame burning for longer: Soy candles have a higher melting point, meaning they can generally burn for longer. You can enjoy your favorite soy wax candle for longer before replacing it.
- Soy wax candles are nontoxic and can improve indoor air quality: Soy candles produce less soot and toxins when lit because of their natural materials, making them a better choice for your health.
- Soy candle wax is easier to clean up: Soy wax takes longer to melt when lit and drips less. Soy wax is also easier to clean or wipe away than paraffin wax.
Contact Blended Waxes for All Your Candle-Making Needs
Blended Waxes is a multi-faceted wax manufacturer and distributor that provides numerous wax services, including custom blending for candle-making. We specialize in wax research and development, creating various wax types you can purchase in bulk.
We have the expertise and equipment to provide you with high-quality customized paraffin soy and blended wax types for your needs. Blended Waxes will manufacture, store and package your bulk wax materials or finished products.
Contact us for all your bulk paraffin or soy wax manufacturing and storage needs.